Hotel Review: Westin Jakarta Skip to main content

Hotel Review: Westin Jakarta

As I travel quite often for work, I’m going to keep a record of all the hotels I’ve stayed in, to serve as a reminder of what works and what doesn’t. It’ll make future bookings much easier.

Location: Although located in Kuningan, getting to the office is relatively quick by car. Door to door transport time is shorter. It's a better option than the shangrila. Offices surround the hotel so don't expect to go anywhere once you return.

Room: Corner room. New and modern with a huge bathroom. The bed is heavenly. Westin never fails.


Gym: The treadmills and ellipticals overlook the sky (pollution rather). What I really like about Westin gym's is that they have the TRX system and sufficient weight machines. Small space for free weights.

Breakfast: The place is so big that I got lost trying to find various counters. The spread is wide, with lots of fried food options (not ideal for breakfast) and the usual omellete and bread station. If you pick carefully, there are healthy options but you have to be diligent about your selections. I like to sit by the fresh juice station so it's easy access to refills.


I selected their healthier options.

Notable items: Henshin, Japanese food on the 67th floor. I'll be back for this again.
Beef short ribs

Henshin roll with prawn, foie gras, unagi.

#Omnomnom

Would I return? Yes. Maybe just for Henshin and the comfortable room. Westin never fails in Asia.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trade wars, Hong Kong riots

Be greedy in times of fear. That's the investment mantra I live by. Recently there's been a huge spat on trade wars and the Hong Kong riots, which took a toll on the stock markets.  This was a great opportunity to load up on my existing positions as their prices have come down to more favorable levels. There no reason to explore other stocks unless a super attractive opportunity arises, like hongkongland. That counter was hit extremely hard by the riots, since they derive 50% of their revenues from HK.  Other than such events where opportunities present itself, I prefer to average up or down into my existing positions... No need to perform the due diligence again, unless fundamentals have changed. I'm enjoying the opportunities that the markets are presenting in the past few months.  Simply keep calm and aim to collect more dividends by increasing your stake when frivolous sentiment changes. Market entry is a psychological battle against yourself. Another post on this la

BCIP 2018 - Singtel, Capitamall trust

I started building my child's college fund when she was 6 months old.  All her 红包's are channeled straight into this OCBC account, and I registered for their Blue Chip Investment Plan (BCIP).  It's a monthly investment scheme into a blue chip stock of choice.  Both Ms EOR and myself contribute monthly to this BCIP account, which is an excellent way to force us to invest. I invest in 2 stocks at any given month, with Singtel being the base investment and the other being a cyclical. Singtel Telco's are considered a defensive sector, with a relatively stable income stream.  What I like about Singtel is that they are the market leader in Singapore, and also derive 50% of their profits from investments in other country telcos, thereby reducing the country risk.  They are trading at around their 52 week lows in 1H 2018, hence the dividend rate is 5+%, but I see the sustainable rate to be about 4+%.  I'm doing dollar cost averaging, so it doesn't matter that much

BCIP: Banks in a rising interest rate environment, US-China trade wars

I started building my child's college fund when she was 6 months old. All her 红包's are channeled straight into this OCBC account, and I registered for their Blue Chip Investment Plan (BCIP). It's a monthly investment scheme into a blue chip stock of choice. Both Ms EOR and myself contribute monthly to this BCIP account, which is an excellent way to force us to invest. The rule is, do not sell anything from this account. In a rising interest rate environment, defensive stocks and REITs are to be de-prioritized. In such an environment, the spread between interest rates and dividend yields narrows, causing selling pressure on such asset classes. Banking stocks do well in rising interest rate environments, so now is the time double down and load up. Current sector allocation. It's time to add financials in. DBS The biggest and strongest bank in Singapore. They are leading the pack in digitization and building a digital bank presence. Just read their recent earnings