Baby Bonus, Child Development Account (CDA), CPF Skip to main content

Baby Bonus, Child Development Account (CDA), CPF

"When I'm old and my memory fails me, this post serves as a reminder on what to do."

Every child born as a Singapore citizen is given a Child Development Account (CDA), with the government having the intent of cushioning expenses related to raising a child.  The CDA funds can be used for certain items like paying for childcare and kindergartens, child related medical expenses, medisave approved integrated shield plans.  I use this account for a different purpose, to build my daughters wealth.

The only thing that interested me was the Government's Dollar for Dollar match, up to $6k for the 1st and 2nd child. Baby bonus gave us $3k, I topped up $3k , government matched $3k, and the account began with $9k opening balance.  Since I can't withdraw these funds for cash, I'll treat this as a CPF account and optimize every dollar.

The CPF website has a nice illustration on what happens with the account through time:

https://www.areyouready.sg/YourInfoHub/Pages/News-A-look-at-how-your-childs-CDA-savings-provide-for-his-changing-needs.aspx
Since we won't be withdrawing any amount from this account, by the time she's 30, based on an opening balance of $9k and the interest rates above, the amount that'll be transferred to CPF OA will be $17,489.19.

What To Do:

Once this sum hits your CPF OA, please shift it into your CPF SA, as you get a higher interest rate there.  If you have spare cash in your CPF OA and still have positive inflows into the CPF OA, it is prudent to shift it to your SA to plan for your own retirement. Another post on this. 


You stand to gain $24,814.72 more in interest by age 65, by investing this $17,489.19 at a 1% higher interest rate.  Your housing loan does not need this $17,489.19 assistance.  If it does, then you probably have made the wrong purchase, hence find a way to unwind it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trade wars, Hong Kong riots

Be greedy in times of fear. That's the investment mantra I live by. Recently there's been a huge spat on trade wars and the Hong Kong riots, which took a toll on the stock markets.  This was a great opportunity to load up on my existing positions as their prices have come down to more favorable levels. There no reason to explore other stocks unless a super attractive opportunity arises, like hongkongland. That counter was hit extremely hard by the riots, since they derive 50% of their revenues from HK.  Other than such events where opportunities present itself, I prefer to average up or down into my existing positions... No need to perform the due diligence again, unless fundamentals have changed. I'm enjoying the opportunities that the markets are presenting in the past few months.  Simply keep calm and aim to collect more dividends by increasing your stake when frivolous sentiment changes. Market entry is a psychological battle against yourself. Another post on this la

BCIP 2018 - Singtel, Capitamall trust

I started building my child's college fund when she was 6 months old.  All her 红包's are channeled straight into this OCBC account, and I registered for their Blue Chip Investment Plan (BCIP).  It's a monthly investment scheme into a blue chip stock of choice.  Both Ms EOR and myself contribute monthly to this BCIP account, which is an excellent way to force us to invest. I invest in 2 stocks at any given month, with Singtel being the base investment and the other being a cyclical. Singtel Telco's are considered a defensive sector, with a relatively stable income stream.  What I like about Singtel is that they are the market leader in Singapore, and also derive 50% of their profits from investments in other country telcos, thereby reducing the country risk.  They are trading at around their 52 week lows in 1H 2018, hence the dividend rate is 5+%, but I see the sustainable rate to be about 4+%.  I'm doing dollar cost averaging, so it doesn't matter that much