Why i will be investing in the Astrea IV private equity Class A-1 bond Skip to main content

Why i will be investing in the Astrea IV private equity Class A-1 bond

Astrea IV is a wholly owned subsidiary of Azalea Asset Management Pte. Ltd, which is wholly owned by Temasek Holdings. They are issuing bonds for their private equity funds, so this is the first time the retail market has access to the private equity space. 

BOND DETAILS

Name: Class A-1 Bonds 10NC5

Interest: 4.35% pa, semi annual payment. If not redeemed after 5 yrs on Jun 2023, will step up to 5.35% pa

Maturity: 10 yrs, on 14th Jun 2028 with scheduled call date on 14th Jun 2023. "Scheduled" is not "optional". If there is sufficient cash set aside for the class A bond to be redeemed, it must be redeemed. It's not an option.






Application for IPO: Min $2k, with integral multiples of $1k thereafter

Period of application for IPO: 6th Jun 2018 9am to 12 Jun 2018 12 pm

Rating:  A by Fitch, and A by S&P

Extra features: There is a bonus redemption premium of an amount not exceeding 0.5% of the principal amount. This means that if the par value if $1.000, the bond might be redeemed at less than or equal to $1.005, if conditions are met. The condition is that the sponsor receives 50% of its total equity (US $313 million) on or before 14th Jun 2023.

More details from the full prospectus here. Product highlights can be found here.  Video explanation found here.

My rationale for investment:
1. Interest rate meets my target interest of 4%. Cash flow statement assuming the issuer redeems the bond after 5 years.

2. I'm comfortable that my money will be used to invest in the PE space, where returns are easily 50% and above. I'm guaranteed the bond coupons at 4.35%. These are my retirement funds, so i'm comfortable with this risk level.

3. Class A-1 bond.  First in line to collect back funds in the event of a default. 

4. Diversification from equity and REITs.  Capital isn't subjected to market fluctuations as I intend to hold this until maturity. I'll get 100% of my investment back.

5. Am unlikely to purchase this from the market after IPO, since the prices usually shoot above PAR value. 

Since this is the first retail bond launched, I figure there will be more of such launches.  In a rising interest rate environment, I'd expect the future launches to offer higher interest rates.  So i'll be balloting for a small amount of 5k each, for the 3 of us.  I bet this tranche will extremely oversubscribed, as people think these bonds are backed by Temasek Holdings, in which they are not. 

A $2 fee to try my luck.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trade wars, Hong Kong riots

Be greedy in times of fear. That's the investment mantra I live by. Recently there's been a huge spat on trade wars and the Hong Kong riots, which took a toll on the stock markets.  This was a great opportunity to load up on my existing positions as their prices have come down to more favorable levels. There no reason to explore other stocks unless a super attractive opportunity arises, like hongkongland. That counter was hit extremely hard by the riots, since they derive 50% of their revenues from HK.  Other than such events where opportunities present itself, I prefer to average up or down into my existing positions... No need to perform the due diligence again, unless fundamentals have changed. I'm enjoying the opportunities that the markets are presenting in the past few months.  Simply keep calm and aim to collect more dividends by increasing your stake when frivolous sentiment changes. Market entry is a psychological battle against yourself. Another post on this la

Baby Bonus, Child Development Account (CDA), CPF

"When I'm old and my memory fails me, this post serves as a reminder on what to do." Every child born as a Singapore citizen is given a Child Development Account (CDA), with the government having the intent of cushioning expenses related to raising a child.  The CDA funds can be used for certain items like paying for childcare and kindergartens, child related medical expenses, medisave approved integrated shield plans.  I use this account for a different purpose, to build my daughters wealth. The only thing that interested me was the Government's Dollar for Dollar match, up to $6k for the 1st and 2nd child. Baby bonus gave us $3k, I topped up $3k , government matched $3k, and the account began with $9k opening balance.  Since I can't withdraw these funds for cash, I'll treat this as a CPF account and optimize every dollar. The CPF website has a nice illustration on what happens with the account through time: https://www.areyouready.sg/YourInfoHub/Pag

BCIP 2018 - Singtel, Capitamall trust

I started building my child's college fund when she was 6 months old.  All her 红包's are channeled straight into this OCBC account, and I registered for their Blue Chip Investment Plan (BCIP).  It's a monthly investment scheme into a blue chip stock of choice.  Both Ms EOR and myself contribute monthly to this BCIP account, which is an excellent way to force us to invest. I invest in 2 stocks at any given month, with Singtel being the base investment and the other being a cyclical. Singtel Telco's are considered a defensive sector, with a relatively stable income stream.  What I like about Singtel is that they are the market leader in Singapore, and also derive 50% of their profits from investments in other country telcos, thereby reducing the country risk.  They are trading at around their 52 week lows in 1H 2018, hence the dividend rate is 5+%, but I see the sustainable rate to be about 4+%.  I'm doing dollar cost averaging, so it doesn't matter that much